REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the brake drum, as well as the grease cap/seal. Remove and discard the retaining nut.
- Remove the bearing hub unit from the spindle. Disconnect the brake line.
- Remove the brake shoes, adjuster assemblies, wheel cylinder and parking brake cable from the backing plate.
- Remove the backing plate-to-spindle retaining bolts, then discard them.
- Remove the backing plate and foam gasket.
- Install a new foam gasket on the rear wheel spindle.
- Install the brake backing plate with new adhesive coated retaining bolts.
- Install the wheel cylinder, then connect the brake line.
- Install the brake shoe/lining and adjuster assemblies. Insert the parking brake lever through the backing plate. The prongs must be securely locked in place. Connect the parking brake cable to the lever.
- Install the bearing and hub assembly on the spindle. Install the hub retainer, then tighten the nut to 188-254 ft. lbs. (255-345 Nm).
- Install a new grease seal using a 1 7 / 8 in. x 3 / 4 in. drive socket.
- Install the brake drum, then adjust the brakes, as previously outlined.
- Bleed the brake system. Check the parking brake cable adjustment.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly, then carefully lower the vehicle.