RELIEVING FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE
Except 2.5L CFI Engine
The pressure in the fuel system must be relieved before attempting to disconnect any fuel lines. A special valve is incorporated on the fuel rail assembly for the purpose of relieving the pressure in the fuel system.
- Remove the fuel tank cap.
- Remove the cap from the pressure relief Schrader valve on the fuel rail.
- Attach pressure gauge tool T80L-9974-A or equivalent, to the fuel pressure relief valve.
- Release the pressure from the system into a suitable container.
- Remove the pressure gauge tool, then install the cap on the pressure relief valve. Install the fuel tank cap.
- Disengage the electrical connector from the inertia switch, located on the left side of the luggage compartment.
- Crank the engine for 15 seconds to relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Connect the inertia switch.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
The push connect fittings are designed with a retaining clip. Clips should be replaced whenever a connector is removed.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure. For details, refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.
- Remove the push connect fittings at both ends of the fuel filter. This is accomplished by removing the hairpin clips from the fittings. Remove the hairpin clips by first bending, and then breaking the shipping tabs on the clips. Spread the 2 clip legs approximately 1 / 8 in. (3mm) to disengage the body and push the legs into the fitting. Gently pull on the triangular end of the clip and work it clear of the fitting.
When removing the clips, use your hands. Do NOT use tools, as damage may occur.
- Remove the filter from the mounting bracket by loosening the worm gear mounting clamp enough to allow the filter to pass through.
- Install the filter in the mounting bracket, ensuring that the flow direction arrow is pointing forward. Locate the fuel filter against the tab at the lower end of the bracket.
- Insert a new hairpin clip into any 2 adjacent openings on each push connect fitting, with the triangular portion of the clip pointing away from the fitting opening. Install the clip to fully engage the body of the fitting. This is indicated by the legs of the hairpin clip being locked on the outside of the fitting body. Apply a light coat of engine oil to the ends of the fuel filter, then push the fittings onto the ends of the filter. When the fittings are engaged, a definite click will be heard. Pull on the fittings to ensure that they are fully engaged.
- Tighten the worm gear mounting clamp to 15-25 inch lbs. (1.7-2.8 Nm).
- Start the engine and check for leaks.