Upper and lower radiator hoses, along with the heater hoses, should be inspected for deterioration, leaks and loose hose clamps at least every 15,000 miles (24,000 km). It is also wise to check the hoses periodically in early spring and at the beginning of the fall or winter when you are performing other maintenance. A quick visual inspection may discover a weakened hose which could have left you stranded had it remained unrepaired.
Whenever you are checking the hoses, make sure the engine and cooling system are cold. Visually inspect for cracking, rotting or collapsed hoses, and replace as necessary. Run your hand along the length of the hose. If a weak or swollen spot is noted when squeezing the hose wall, the hose should be replaced.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then place protective covers over the fenders.
- Place a suitable drain pan under the radiator.
If only the upper hose is to be replaced, you need only drain off enough coolant so that the level is below the hose.
- Remove the radiator pressure cap. Attach a 3 / 8 in. (9.5mm) diameter hose to the radiator draincock, then open the draincock and drain the radiator.
- After the radiator has drained, position the drain pan under the hose to be removed.
- To remove the lower hose, loosen the lower hose clamps, then disconnect the hose from the water pump or radiator lower hose tube, and allow it to drain. Disconnect the other end of the hose from the radiator and remove the hose.
- To remove the upper hose, loosen the retaining clamps, then disconnect and remove the hose.
- To remove the heater hose(s), loosen the clamps, then remove the hose(s).
- Position the hose(s) to the appropriate connection(s).
- If applicable, position the hose clamps between the alignment marks on both ends of the hose, then slide the hose onto the connections.
- Tighten the hose clamps to 20-30 inch lbs. (2.2-3.4 Nm).
- Close the radiator draincock. Fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of Ford Premium Cooling System Fluid E2FZ-19549-AA or B (CXC-8-B in Canada) or equivalent and water.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for coolant leaks.
- When the engine cools, recheck the coolant level in the radiator, or reservoir container, then remove the fender covers.