Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheel and tire assemblies.
- Unbolt and remove the rear caliper, but do not disconnect the fluid line. Suspend the caliper out of the way with a piece of wire.
- Matchmark the brake disc (rotor) to the axle hub.
Make sure the parking brake is fully released, then remove the rear brake disc (rotor).
NOTEIf the rotor cannot be easily removed, turn the shoe adjuster until the wheel turns freely.
- Inspect the brake disc (rotor) inside diameter, as follows:
Use needle-nose pliers to remove the 2 parking brake return tension springs.
- Slide out the parking brake front shoe and remove the compression spring.
- Remove the parking brake shoe strut.
Remove the parking brake shoe, as follows:
- Release the cup claw and remove the front and rear parking brake shoe.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the shoe lever.
- Remove the tension spring and shoe adjuster screw set from the front and rear shoe.
- Remove the 2 shoe hold-down springs, 4 cups and 2 pins.
- Using a screwdriver, remove the C-washer.
Remove the shim and shoe lever from the parking brake shoe.
Check the parking brake shoe lining thickness, as follows:
- Using a ruler, measure the thickness of the shoe lining. Standard thickness is 2.0 mm (0.079 in.). Minimum thickness is 1.0 mm (0.039 in.). If the lining thickness is at the minimum thickness or less, or if there is severe, uneven wear, replace the brake shoe.
Inspect brake disc and parking brake shoe lining for proper contact, as follows:
- Apply chalk to the inside surface of the disc, then grind down the brake shoe lining to fit. If the contact between the brake disc and the shoe lining is improper, repair it using a brake shoe grinder or replace the brake shoe assembly.
Apply the high temperature grease to the shoe attached surface of backing plate
To install: .
Install the parking brake shoe, as follows: (a) Install the shoe lever and shim to the rear shoe with a new C-washer . (b) Using a feeler gauge, measure the clearance. Standard clearance: Less than 0.35 mm (0.0138 in.) If the clearance is not within the specification, replace the shim with one of the correct size. Shim size: 0.3 mm (0.012 in.), 0.9 mm (0.035 in.) or 0.6 mm (0.024 in.).
- Install the parking brake shoe strut.
- Install the parking brake shoe strut compression spring.
- Use needle nose pliers to install the 2 return tension springs.
Check that each parking brake component is installed properly.
WARNINGThere should be no oil or grease adhering to the friction surface of the shoe lining and disc.
- Install the brake disc (rotor).
- Adjust parking brake shoe clearance, as follows:
- Install the caliper, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Install the rear wheel and tire assembly and tighten the lug nuts to 76 ft. lbs. (103 Nm).
- Adjust the parking brake pedal travel, as outlined in this section.