Lexus RX300 1999-2003
Lexus RX330 2004-2006
Check the spark plug for thread damage and insulator damage. If abnormal, replace the spark plug.
NOTEThe recommended type of spark plug for is:
DENSO MADE SK20R11
Check the electrode gap.
- Electrode gap: 1.0-1.1mm (0.039-0.043 in.)
Maximum electrode gap: 1.2mm(0.047 in.)
WARNINGThis engine is fitted with iridium-tipped spark plugs. Never attempt to adjust the electrode gap. Do not scratch the iridium and platinum tip between electrode gap.
Removal & Installation
Lexus RX300 1999-2003
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the intake air surge tank, as follows:
- Disconnect the accelerator cable.
- Remove the bolt, and disconnect the speed control cable with the bracket.
- Disconnect the throttle position sensor connector.
- Disconnect the IAC valve connector.
- Remove the 3 bolts, and disconnect the PS pressure tube from the intake air surge tank, throttle body bracket and No.1 engine hanger.
- Disconnect the 2 water bypass hoses and No.6 air hose.
- Disconnect the purge hose.
- Disconnect the hoses and cables.
- Remove the 2 bolts and No.1 engine hanger.
- Remove the 2 bolts and throttle body bracket.
- Disconnect the engine wire from emission control valve set.
- Using an 8 mm socket hexagon wrench, remove the 2 bolts, 2 nuts and intake air surge tank.
- Remove the ignition coils (with igniter). Refer to the procedure in this section for details.
- Using a 16mm (0.63 in) plug wrench, remove the all spark plugs.
- Inspect the condition of the spark plugs, as outlined in this section.
- Using a 16 mm (0.63 in.) plug wrench, install the spark plugs and tighten to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
- Install the ignition coil with igniter and tighten the retainers to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
Install the intake air surge tank, as follows:
- Using an 8 mm hexagon wrench, install a new gasket and the air intake chamber assembly with the 2 bolts and 2 nuts. Uniformly tighten the bolts and nuts in several passes to a final torque of 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
- Install the No.1 engine hanger with the 2 bolts and tighten to 19 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Install the throttle body bracket with the 2 bolts and tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.