Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEWhen disconnecting the cable be sure that the ignition switch and headlight switches are off.
NOTEWhen disconnecting the cable, certain systems will have to be initialized after reconnecting the cable. These systems are adaptive front lighting system, power window control system, power back door system, SRS system, audio system, sliding roof system and certain DTC codes. Be sure to write down any important information before disconnecting the cable. The Toyota scan tool, or equivalent, must be used. Follow the directions on the appropriate scan tool to complete initialization procedure.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the lower instrument panel finish panel.
- Remove the left hand instrument panel insert.
- Remove the upper and lower covers.
- Remove the combination switch with the spiral cable.
Remove the spiral cable.
NOTEDo not disassemble the cable or apply oil to it.
Matchmark the intermediate shaft sub assembly. Disconnect the intermediate shaft sub assembly.
- Remove the lower instrument finish plate.
Remove the steering column retaining bolts. Carefully remove the column from the vehicle.
Be sure to use new fasteners, as required.
Install the universal joint with the bolt. Tighten to 27 ft. lbs.
- Position the column to its mounting.
- Install the retaining bolts. Tighten to 19 ft. lbs.
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
When centering the spiral cable check that the wheels are in the straight ahead position. Turn the spiral cable counterclockwise by hand until it becomes harder to turn. Rotate the spiral cable clockwise about 2.5 turns to align the marks. See the illustration.