- Drain the coolant into a suitable container.
- Disconnect the negative and positive battery cables, then remove the battery.
Remove the air cleaner assembly, as follows:
- Disconnect the Mass Air Flow (MAF) meter connector and wire clamp.
- Disconnect the VSV connector for Canister Closed Valve (CCV) and air hose.
- Disconnect the 3 vacuum hoses.
- Loosen the hose clamp.
- Remove the air cleaner cap.
- Remove the air filter.
- Remove the 3 bolts and air cleaner case.
- Disconnect the outlet radiator hose.
- Remove the bolt and water inlet pipe.
- Remove the 3 bolts and water inlet pipe.
- Remove the thermostat assembly.
- Remove and discard the gasket, and thoroughly clean the gasket mating surfaces.
- Position a new gasket to the thermostat.
Align the thermostat jiggle valve with the upper stud bolt, and insert the thermostat in the water inlet housing.
NOTEThe jiggle valve can be placed within 15° of either side of the described position.
- Install the water inlet and tighten the bolt to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
Install the water inlet pipe, as follows:
- Install a new O-ring to the water inlet pipe.
- Apply soapy water to the O-ring.
- Connect the water inlet pipe to the water inlet.
- Install the bolt holding the water inlet pipe to the cylinder head and tighten to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Install the air cleaner assembly in the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the case retainers to 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Install the battery. Connect the positive, then the negative battery cables.
- Fill the engine with the proper type and amount of engine coolant.
- Start the engine and check for coolant leaks. Recheck the coolant level and add, as necessary.