Removal & Installation
Remove the primary and secondary timing chains. Refer to the TIMING CHAIN and SPROCKET procedures in this section.
NOTEThe balance shaft and gear are serviced as an assembly. Do not attempt to remove the gear from the balance shaft.
Remove the retaining bolt from the counterbalance shaft thrust plate.
Using Special Tool 8641 Counterbalance shaft remover/installer tool (1), remove the counterbalance shaft from the engine.
Coat counterbalance shaft bearing journals with clean engine oil.
NOTEThe balance shaft is heavy, and care should be used when installing shaft, so bearings are not damaged.
- Using Special Tool 8641 Counterbalance shaft remover/installer tool (1), carefully install counterbalance shaft into engine.
- Install Counterbalance shaft thrust plate retaining bolt finger-tight. Do not tighten bolt at this time.
- Position the right side of the thrust plate with the right chain guide bolt, install bolt finger-tight.
- Torque the thrust plate retaining bolt to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Remove the chain guide bolt so that guide can be installed.