Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure, as outlined in this section.
Remove the fuel tank, as follows:
CAUTIONThe fuel system may be under a constant pressure even with the engine off. before draining fuel tank, fuel system pressure must be released.
NOTETwo different procedures may be used to drain fuel tank (through fuel tank vent tube fitting or using DRB scan tool). The quickest procedure involves draining the tank through the vent fitting.
- The electric fuel pump may be activated allowing fuel tank to be drained. This is done at fuel rail connection using DRB scan tool. Refer to scan tool for fuel pump activation procedures. Before disconnecting fuel line at fuel rail, release fuel pressure if it hasn-t been done already. Refer to the Fuel System Pressure Release Procedure in this section for procedures. Attach end of special test hose tool number 6541, 6539, 6631 or 6923 at fuel rail disconnection (tool number will depend on model and/or engine application). Position opposite end of this hose tool to an approved gasoline draining station.
- Activate fuel pump and drain tank until empty.
- If electric fuel pump does not operate, fuel can be siphoned through fuel vent fitting at outer part of left frame rail. The fuel vent hose will have to be disconnected from tank vent fitting for this operation.
- Remove fuel tank filler tube cap.
Raise and safely support the vehicle.
WARNINGWrap shop towels around fuel fill and vent hoses to absorb any gasoline that might spill.
- Disconnect fuel vent hose clamp from fuel vent hose at outer part of left frame. Disconnect vent hose from tank fitting.
- Install hose from an approved portable gasoline holding tank into vent fitting. Drain fuel from tank.
- Disconnect fuel fill hose clamp from fuel fill hose at outer part of left frame. Disconnect fill hose from tank fitting.
- Support fuel tank securely to transmission jack.
- Disconnect tank mounting strap J-bolt nuts and remove fuel tank straps.
- The fill and vent fittings are permanently attached at the fuel tank end, and are not serviceable. They are routed through an access hole in the frame rail and protected by a plastic shield. The fittings are snapped into this plastic shield. When lowering the fuel tank, caution must be used to prevent the fitting assembly from bending/kinking.
- Push 2 tabs inward to release fill/vent fittings from plastic shield before lowering tank.
- Lower tank until connections can be accessed on top of tank. As tank is being lowered, carefully guide fill/vent fitting assembly through plastic shield and frame access hole.
- Disconnect fuel supply tube (line) from fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator. Refer to Quick-Connect Fittings in this section.
- Disconnect fuel vapor line from both fuel tank check valve fittings.
- Disconnect electrical connector at fuel pump module.
- The fuel pump module locknut is threaded onto fuel tank. Install Special Tool 6856 to fuel pump module locknut and remove locknut.
Remove the fuel pump module.
Install or connect the following:
Fuel pump module
- Start the engine and check for leaks.