This procedure should be carried out whenever the power steering pump lines have been disconnected.
Use only MOPAR® Power Steering Fluid or equivalent. Do not use automatic transmission fluid and do not overfill.
- Wipe filler cap clean, then check the fluid level. The dipstick should indicate COLD when the fluid is at normal temperature.
- Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left.
- Add fluid to bring the level up to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least 2 minutes.
- Raise the front wheels off the ground.
Slowly turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock 20 times with the engine OFF.
NOTEOn vehicles with long return lines or oil coolers, turn the wheel 40 times.
- Start the engine. Check level and add fluid, if necessary.
- Lower the front wheels and let the engine idle for two minutes.
- Turn the steering wheel in both directions and verify power assist and quiet operation of the pump.
If the fluid is extremely foamy or milky looking, allow the vehicle to stand for a few minutes and repeat the procedure.
WARNINGDo not run a vehicle with a foamy fluid for an extended period. This may cause pump damage.