Removal & Installation
- Remove the leaf spring from the vehicle. Refer to the procedure located in this section.
- Position the spring eye in a press.
- Press the bushing out with an appropriate size driver.
Press new bushing into the spring eye with an appropriate size driver.
NOTEThe bushing must be centered in the spring eye.
- Install the leaf spring on the vehicle. Refer to the procedure located in this section.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Support the vehicle at the frame rails.
- Support the rear axle with a jack.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Install or connect the following:
- On 2001-02 models, tighten the front spring eye bolt and nut to 115 ft. lbs. (156 Nm). Tighten the rear spring eye bolt and nut to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm). Tighten the stabilizer bar nuts 55 ft. lbs. (74 Nm). On 2003-05 models, torque the front and rear pivot bolt nuts to 120 ft. lbs. (163 Nm).
- Raise the vehicle at the frame.
- Use a hydraulic jack to relieve the axle weight.
- Remove wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the U-bolt nuts, spring plate, U-bolts and spring seat from the axle.
- Remove the nut and bolt from the shackle mounting bracket.
- Remove the nut and bolt from the front spring eye.
- Remove the spring from the vehicle.
Remove the nut and bolt from the rear spring eye and remove the shackle.
- Install the spring shackle to the rear spring eye. Install the bolt and nut and tighten the nut finger tight. Position the spring on the rear axle pad. Make sure the spring center bolt is inserted in the pad locating hole.
- Align the spring front eye with the bolt hole in the rail front bracket. Install the spring eye bolt and nut. Tighten the spring eye attaching nut finger tight.
Align the spring shackle eye with the bolt hole in the shackle bracket. Install the bolt and nut and tighten the nut finger tight
NOTEWhen installing a rear spring, ensure rear spring eye is located above the shackle bracket pivot bolt.
- Install the spring seat, U-bolts, spring plate and nuts. Tighten the U-bolt nuts to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm) for 1999-00 vehicles or to 175 ft. lbs. (237 Nm) for 2001-04 vehicles.
- Install wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the support stands and lower the vehicle.
- Tighten the front spring eye nut to 90 ft. lbs. (122 Nm).
- Tighten the shackle nuts to 110 ft. lbs. (149 Nm).