Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Support the axle.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Install the bolts through the brackets and shock and tighten them as follows:
Tighten the upper bolt to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm) and the lower bolt to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm) on 2001-02 models; 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm) for upper and lower on 2003-05 models.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the lower shock absorber mounting nut and bolt from the axle bracket.
- Remove the upper mounting nut, retainers and bolt.
Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle. If necessary, remove the spacer tube from the upper shock absorber eye.
- Install the shock absorber in the axle bracket and install the bolt and nut.
- Install the spacer tube in the upper shock absorber eye.
- Position the shock absorber to the frame rail bracket. Install the inner retainer, bolt, outer retainer and nut.
- Tighten the shock absorber mounting nuts to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Remove the supports, then carefully lower the vehicle.