Removal & Installation
The "tone wheel" works in conjunction with the front wheel speed sensors as part of the ABS. There is one on each wheel.
The tone wheel is located on the hub/bearing , on the axle outer stub shaft or inside the hub/bearing housing, depending on model and equipment.
This component is not serviceable or removable and if damaged, the assembly of which it is a part must be replaced.
- Remove the differential case from the axle housing.
- Clamp the differential case in a soft-jaw vise.
- Remove and discard the ring gear bolts.
- Tap the ring gear off with a rawhide or plastic mallet.
- Remove the exciter ring with a soft-faced hammer.
- Be sure to align the exciter ring tab with the slot in the differential case.
- Invert the differential case and start two ring gear bolts. This will provide case to ring gear bolt hole alignment.
- Press the exciter ring onto the differential case using the ring gear as a pilot.
- Install new ring gear bolts and tighten in a cross pattern to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm) for 8 1 / 4 in. axles, 115 ft. lbs. (157 Nm) for 9 1 / 4 in. axles, 130 ft. lbs. (180 Nm) for 248 and 267 RBI axles, 220 ft. lbs. (300 Nm) on 286 RBI axles.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the brake caliper.
- On 8-stud wheels, remove the rotor hub bearing assembly and separate the rotor from the hub bearing.
- On other wheels, remove the rotor.
- Remove the sensor attaching bolts.
- Disconnect the wire and remove the sensor from the vehicle.
Tighten the bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
NOTEUse the original or replacement sensor bolts only. The bolts are special and must not be substituted.
The remainder of the procedure is the reverse of removal.