Removal & Installation
A special seal removal/installation tool is required.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle securely on jackstands.
- Place a drain pan under the end of the extension housing.
- Mark the position of the driveshaft for installation reference.
- Disconnect the driveshaft at the rear universal joint and carefully slide the shaft out of the transmission extension housing.
- Remove the extension housing seal with the special tool.
- Clean the end and inside of the extension housing.
- Start the new seal into position and, with the installing tool, tap the seal into place.
- Check the condition of the driveshaft slip yoke. Repair or replace as necessary.
- Lubricate the lips of the seal and the slip yoke.
- Align and install the driveshaft, taking care when guiding the slip yoke into the extension housing.
- Remove the drain pan.
- Check and correct the transmission fluid level.
- Lower the vehicle.