Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cables
- Place a shop towel in the gear cover opening in a position that will prevent the nut and washer from falling into the gear housing. Remove the gear retaining nut and washer.
- Turn the engine until the keyway on the fuel pump shaft is pointing approximately in the 6 o'clock position.
- Locate Top Dead Center (TDC) for cylinder No. 1 by turning the engine slowly while pushing in on the TDC pin. Stop turning the engine as soon as the pin engages with the gear timing hole. Disengage the pin after locating TDC and remove the turning equipment.
- Loosen the lockscrew, remove the special washer from the injection pump and wire it to the line above it so it will not get misplaced. Retighten the lockscrew to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) to lock the driveshaft.
Press the pump drive gear from the driveshaft.
NOTEBe careful not to drop the drive gear key into the front cover when removing or installing the pump. If it does drop in, it must be removed before proceeding.
- Remove the 3 mounting nuts and remove the injection pump from the vehicle.
- Remove the gasket and clean the mounting surface.
- Install the pump and finger-tighten the mounting nuts; the pump must be free to move in the slots.
- Install the pump drive gear, washer and nut to the driveshaft. The pump will rotate slightly because of gear helix and clearance. This is acceptable providing the pump is free to move on the flange slots and the crankshaft does not move. Tighten the nut to 11-15 ft. lbs. (15-20 Nm). Do not overtighten.
- If installing the original pump, rotate the pump to align the original timing marks and tighten the mounting nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- If installing a replacement pump, take up gear lash by rotating the pump counterclockwise toward the cylinder head, and tighten the mounting nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm). Permanently mark the new injection pump flange to match the mark on the gear housing.
- Loosen the lockscrew and install the special washer under the lockscrew; tighten to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm). Disengage the TDC pin.
Install or connect the following:
Pump support bracket. Tighten the pump drive gear nut to 48 ft. lbs. (65 Nm).
- Bleed air from the system.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the battery negative cables.
- Clean all fuel line and fitting ends to prevent possible contamination.
- Disconnect the 9-way electrical connector at the fuel pump control module.
- Remove the fuel line return line at the side of the injection pump by removing the overflow valve.
- Remove the supply line banjo bolt.
- Remove high pressure lines, intake air tube, throttle sensor, air intake housing, dipstick tube, cables and clips, and engine lifting bracket.
- Unscrew the plastic access cap at the front gear cover.
- Remove the nut and washer retaining injection pump gear to shaft.
- Rotate the engine until the keyway is at 12 o'clock.
- Use a puller to separate the gear from the shaft. Attach two M8 x 1.24mm screws through the puller and into the threaded holes in the pump gear. Pull gear forward until loose. Move only enough to free it.
- Remove the three lower pump bracket bolts and the bracket. Loosen, but do NOT remove, the two engine bracket bolts.
- Remove the four injection pump-to-gear housing mounting nuts. Remove the injection pump.
- Use new O-rings and gaskets. Machined tapers must be clean and dry before installation.
- The pump/gear keyway has an arrow and a three-digit number stamped at the top edge. Position the keyway into the pump shaft with the arrow pointing to the rear of the pump. Be sure keyway and pump data plate have the same number.
- Position pump assembly to mounting flange while aligning pump shaft through back of injection pump gear. Dowel on mounting flange must align with hole in front of pump.
- Install and tighten four pump mounting nuts finger tight only.
- Tighten injection pump shaft washer and nut finger tight.
- Position lower pump bracket and install three bolts finger tight only.
- Tighten shaft nut to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm). This is NOT the final torque.
- Tighten the four pump mounting nuts to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
- tighten the three lower pump bracket-to-pump bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Tighten the two engine bracket-to-engine bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24Nm).
- Final tighten the injection pump shaft nut to 125 ft. lbs. (170 Nm).
- The remainder of the procedure is the reverse or removal.