Removal & Installation
3.9L, 5.2L & 5.9L Gasoline Engines
Do NOT attempt to remove the filter element by removing the housing top cover only. The entire assembly must be removed from the engine for filter replacement.
- Remove the air inlet tube.
- Loosen, but Do NOT remove, the screw clamp that secures the air cleaner housing to the throttle body. (Note clamp-positioning tabs on air cleaner housing.)
- Disconnect the breather hose at the rear of the air cleaner housing.
- On the 5.9L HDC V-8 engine, disconnect the air pump hose at the air cleaner housing.
- Lift the assembly from the throttle body while slipping it from the mounting studs.
- Unlatch the springs clips and tilt the top cover up and to the rear to remove.
- Remove the filter element.
- Clean the inside of the housing, removing any debris or foreign matter.
- Check condition of the throttle body seal and replace it if damaged.
- Install a new filter element and refit the housing top cover, inserting tabs into the slots. Latch the three clips.
- Check the position of the mounting stud rubber grommet; then, install the housing on the throttle body. Push down to ensure it is seated.
- Tighten the throttle body clamp to 15 inch lbs (2 Nm). Check that the housing has been secured.
- Reconnect all the hoses as removed.
- Loosen the clamp and remove the air inlet tube at the front of the air cleaner housing.
- Unlatch the spring clips and remove the housing cover.
- Remove the old filter element.
- Clean the inside of the housing. A small amount of oil wetting is normal.
- Install the new element, replace the cover and latch the spring clips.
- Connect the air inlet tube and tighten the clamp.