All gasoline engines covered in this section use hydraulic lifters. No maintenance or periodic adjustment is required.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cables
- Position the gear as shown and measure the clearance of the indicated valves. No adjustment is necessary if the lash falls within the following specifications:
Install or connect the following:
Fuel pump access cover
All engines covered in this section use hydraulic lifters. No maintenance or periodic adjustment is required.
No valve lash adjustment is necessary or possible on any of the gasoline engines covered in this manual. Hydraulic valve lifters automatically maintain zero clearance. After engine reassembly, these lifters adjust themselves as soon as engine oil pressure builds up.
Valve adjustment is not a routine maintenance item. Measurements should be taken while troubleshooting an operating problem or after valve train components have been removed/replaced.
- Measurements must be taken on a COLD engine with the coolant temperature below 140-F (60-C).
- Refer to the accompanying illustration. Rotate the crankshaft to align the timing marks as shown and measure clearance with a feeler gauge between rocker arm socket and crosshead at the appropriate valves as shown in the illustration.
- If clearance is not within specification, loosen the locknut and turn the adjusting screw as required to achieve the proper clearance. Tighten the locknut and recheck.