Observe all applicable safety precautions when working around fuel. Whenever servicing the fuel system, always work in a well ventilated area. Do NOT allow fuel spray or vapors to come in contact with a spark or open flame. Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near the work area. Always keep fuel in a container specifically designed for fuel storage; also, always properly seal fuel containers to avoid the possibility of fire or explosion.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable(s).
- Remove the fuel tank filler cap.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Pump all fuel from the tank into an approved holding tank.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Some models are fitted with a ground strap connecting fuel filler tube assembly to the body. If equipped, disconnect the ground strap.
- Disconnect the fuel line and wire lead to the gauge unit.
- Open the fuel filler door and remove the screws mounting the fuel filler tube assembly to the body. Do NOT disconnect the rubber fuel filler or vent hoses at this time.
- Place a transmission jack or other proper support device under the center of the tank and apply sufficient pressure to support the tank.
- Remove the nuts that secure the tank mounting straps. Remove the fuel tank shield bolts, if fitted.
- Lower the tank just enough for access to the remaining tubes and lines.
- Disconnect the vent hose and the fill hose.
- Disconnect the electrical lines.
- Disconnect the EVAP line(s).
- Disconnect the fuel supply line, which may have a quick-connect fitting.
- Remove the tank.
- Inspect the fuel pump filter and if it is clogged or damaged, replace it.
- Install fuel pump assembly.
- Position the tank on a transmission jack and hoist it into place, feeding the hoses through the grommets on the way up, if necessary.
- Connect any vacuum and electrical lines or hoses possible before bolting in the tank.
- Connect the retaining straps, and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm). Remove the jack.
- Connect the remaining hoses.
- Connect ground strap.
- Refill the tank and inspect it for leaks.
- Reconnect the battery cable ground cable(s).