A combination filter and pressure regulator is used on all models. The regulator is a mechanical device not controlled by the PCM or engine vacuum.
It is calibrated to maintain a pressure a pressure of about 49 psi (339 kPa) at the fuel injectors. The unit contains a diaphragm, calibrated springs and a return valve.
The regulator's pressure maintenance feature permits easier starting. If pressure exceeds the specified amount, the unit routs the excess fuel back to the tank.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel tank filler cap.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the fuel tank assembly.
- The fuel pressure filter/regulator assembly is located on the top of the fuel pump assembly. It is not necessary to remove the fuel pump to remove the pressure filter/regulator assembly. Matchmark the direction the hose fitting points. Unit must be reinstalled pointing in the same direction.
- Twist the filter/regulator assembly out of its grommet on the fuel pump.
- Remove the snap ring that retains the convoluted tube to the filter/regulator. Slide the tube down the plastic fuel tube to access the fuel tube clamp.
- Gently cut the old fuel tube clamp off, taking care NOT to damage the fuel tube or drop the clamp inside the tank.
- Remove the fuel tube from the filter/regulator assembly by gently pulling downward.
- Remove the filter/regulator assembly from the fuel pump module.
- Install a new clamp over the plastic fuel tube.
- Install the filter/regulator assembly to the fuel tube. Rotate the filter/regulator until it is pointed to line up with the matchmark previously made.
- Tighten the clamp to fuel line using Hose Clamp Pliers C-4124 or equivalent.
- Slide the convoluted plastic tube up to the bottom of the filter/regulator and install the snap ring.
- Press the filter/regulator assembly into the rubber grommet making sure it is pointed in the 10 o'clock position.
- Install the fuel tank.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Install the fuel filler cap.