Removal/installation of this switch is covered under "SUSPENSION AND STEERING."
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable(s).
- Remove the key lock cylinder.
Remove the three ignition mounting screws.
- Gently pull the switch away from the column. Disconnect the electrical connector.
- Disconnect the halo lamp wiring connector.
Rotate the flag on the rear of the ignition switch to the RUN position. This step must be done to allow the tang on the key cylinder to fit into the slots within the ignition switch.
With the key into the key lock cylinder, rotate the key clockwise until the retaining pin can be depressed.
Install the key cylinder into the ignition switch by aligning the retaining pin slot. Push the key cylinder into the switch until the retaining pin engages. After the pin engages, rotate the key to the OFF or LOCK position.
Check for proper retention of the key cylinder by attempting to pull the cylinder from the switch. Automatic Transmission Only: Before attaching the ignition switch to the steering column, the transmission shifter must be in the PARK position. The park lock dowel pin on the rear of the ignition switch must also be properly indexed into the park lock linkage before installing the switch.
The flag at the rear of the ignition switch must be properly indexed into the steering column before installing the switch. This flag is used to operate the steering wheel lock lever in the steering column. This lever allows the steering wheel position to be locked when the key is in the LOCK position.
- Place the ignition switch in the LOCK position. The switch is in the LOCK position when the column lock flag is parallel to the ignition switch terminals.
- For vehicles with automatic transmissions only, apply a light coating of grease to the park lock dowel pin and park lock slider linkage. Before installing the switch, push the park lock slider linkage forward until it bottoms. Do a final positioning by pulling it rearwards about one-quarter inch.
- Apply a light coating of grease to both the column lock flag and shaft at the end of the flag.
Place the ignition switch into the openings on the steering column
- Automatic Transmissions Only: Be sure the park lock dowel pin on the rear of the ignition switch enters the slot in the park lock slider linkage.
- Be sure the flag on the rear of the switch is positioned above the steering wheel lock lever.
- Align the dowel pins on the rear of the switch into the holes on the side of the steering column.
- Install the three ignition mounting screws. Tighten the screws to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
- After installing the ignition switch rotate the ignition key from the LOCK to the ON position. Verify that the park lock slider moves in the slider slot, allowing the gear shift lever to be moved out of PARK (automatic transmissions only). If the slider does not move , and the gear shift lever is locked in PARK, the ignition switch park lock dowel pin, on the rear of the ignition switch, is not properly installed in the slot of the park lock slider linkage. Remove the ignition switch and reinstall.
- Connect the electrical connectors for the ignition switch and halo lamp.
- Install the steering column shrouds. Tighten the screws to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
- Install the tilt column lever. (if equipped).
- Connect the battery.
- For vehicles with automatic transmissions, the shifter should lock in the PARK position when the key is in the LOCK position (if equipped with a shift lock device). The shifter should unlock when the key is rotated to the ON position.
- Check for proper operation of the ignition switch in ACCESSORY, LOCK, OFF, ON, RUN and start positions.
- The steering wheel should lock when the key is in the LOCK position. Rotate the steering wheel at least 180° to verify. The steering wheel should unlock when the key is rotated to the ON position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable(s) and wait at least 2 minutes before proceeding.
- Remove the lower and upper steering column shrouds.
- Remove key cylinder, as outlined in this section.
- Disconnect the lower clockspring connectors.
- Remove the wire retainer from the tilt lever bracket, if equipped.
- Remove the tilt lever mounting screws to gain access to the ignition switch mounting screws, if equipped.
- For columns without tilt remove the bracket to gain access to the ignition switch mounting screws.
- Disconnect the electrical connector at rear of ignition switch.
- Remove ignition switch mounting screw.
- Using a small screwdriver, push on locking tab and remove switch from steering column.
- Before installing ignition switch, rotate the slot in the switch to the ON position.
- Connect the electrical connector to rear of the ignition switch. Make sure that locking tabs are fully seated into wiring connector.
- Position switch to column and install the mounting screw. Tighten screw to 26 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- Install the tilt lever bracket mounting screws. Tighten screws to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm).
- If the column is non-tilt install the bracket. Tighten screws to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm).
- Position the wire retainer into the tilt lever bracket.
- Reconnect the lower clockspring connectors.
- Install the key cylinder.
- Install steering column upper and lower shrouds.
- Enable the airbag system by connecting the negative battery cable(s).