Removal & Installation
The tilt and standard column has been designed to be serviced as an assembly; less wiring, switches, shrouds, steering wheel, etc. Most steering column components can be serviced without removing the steering column from the vehicle.
The ignition key must be in the key cylinder for cylinder removal. The key cylinder must be removed first before removing ignition switch.
- Remove the negative (ground) cable from the battery.
- Disable the airbag, by isolating the negative battery cable once it is disconnected and waiting for at least 2 minutes before proceeding with the procedure.
- Remove the lower and upper shrouds.
- Remove ignition key lock cylinder, as outlined in this Section.
- Disconnect the lower clockspring connectors.
- Remove the wire retainer from the tilt lever bracket.
- Remove the tilt lever mounting screws to gain access to the ignition switch mounting screws.
For columns without tilt remove the bracket to gain access to the ignition switch mounting screws.
- Disconnect the electrical connector at rear of ignition switch.
- Remove ignition switch mounting screw.
Using a small screwdriver, push on locking tab and remove switch from steering column.
NOTEThe ignition key must be in the key cylinder for cylinder removal. The key cylinder must be removed first before installing ignition switch.
- Before installing ignition switch, rotate the slot in the switch to the ON position.
- Connect the electrical connector to rear of the ignition switch. Make sure that locking tabs are fully seated into wiring connector.
- Position switch to column and install the mounting screw. Tighten screw to 26 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- Install the tilt lever bracket mounting screws. Tighten screws to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm).
- If the column is equipped with a non-tilt install the bracket. Tighten screws to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm).
- Insert the wire retainer to the tilt lever bracket.
- Reconnect the lower clockspring connectors.
- Install the key cylinder.
- Install steering column upper and lower shrouds.
- Enable the airbag system by connecting the negative battery cable.