Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the battery negative cable(s).
On air bag-equipped vehicles, wait at least two minutes for the system to discharge before proceeding. Failure to take proper precautions could result in accidental deployment and possible personal injury.
- On vehicles with automatic transmission, set the parking brake and place the lever in L for clearance.
- On models with a tilt wheel, set the wheel to the lowest position for clearance.
- On 97 Ram models: remove the ashtray and the two screws holding the ashtray bracket. Pull out the cup holder and remove the two screws holding the assembly. Unscrew and remove the ashtray bracket and cup holder.
- Using a trim stick or other wide, flat-bladed tool, carefully pry around the perimeter of the cluster bezel to disengage the snap clips.
- Remove the cluster bezel.
- Remove the four screws that secure the instrument cluster to the instrument panel.
- On models with an automatic transmission, place the transmission in P .
- Pull the instrument cluster rearward far enough to disengage the two self-docking instrument panel wire harness connectors.
- On models with an automatic transmission, remove the gear selector indicator or disconnect the gear indicator cable.
- Remove the instrument cluster.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
Certain indicator lamps in the cluster are programmable. If a new cluster is being installed, these lamps must be activated using the scan tool.