Removal & Installation
All Except Ax-15 Transmissions
The gearshift lever is a two-piece design. The upper part of the lever is threaded to the transmission stub lever. The upper lever can be removed for service without having to remove the entire shift lever assembly or the transmission.
- Remove the boot mounting screws, the support and trim bezel for access to the lower end of the shifter.
- Unthread and remove the upper end of the shift lever.
- Service the lever as required.
- Thread the upper lever to the stud end and secure the shift boot and components.
The gearshift lever is a one-piece design that must be disconnected from under the vehicle.
- Lower the transmission slightly about 3 in. (76mm).
- Reach up and around the transmission case and press the shift lever retainer downward with your fingers.
- Turn the retainer CCW to release it.
- Lift the lever and retainer out of the shift tower.
- Position the transmission in the vehicle.
- Reach up and around the transmission.
- Position the lever and retainer in the shift tower.
- Turn the retainer CW to install it.