Removal & Installation
- Remove the transmission.
- Remove the release bearing, lever and fork from the clutch housing.
- Remove the clutch housing.
- Remove the backup light switch and drain plug.
- Remove the shift tower bolts and the tower.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the tower bolts to 13 ft.lbs. (18 Nm).
- Shift the transmission into neutral.
- Unscrew and remove the upper end of the shift lever.
- Dakota: remove any floor console components necessary to access the transmission shaft tower.
- Ram: remove the screws attaching the shift boot to the floorpan. Slide the boot upward and off.
- Remove the bolts holding the shift tower to the isolator plate and transmission gear case.
- Remove the shift tower and isolator plate.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten tower bolts to 7-9 ft. lbs. (8-10 Nm).