- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Install or connect the following:
Transmission. Tighten the flange bolts to 40-45 ft. lbs. (54-61 Nm).
- Disconnect the battery negative cable(s).
- Place the transmission in NEUTRAL .
- Remove as much of the shift lever assembly as is accessible from inside the truck: knob, boot, shaft, tower, isolator plate, etc. On some models removal of the console and/or floor panel is required.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the skidplate(s) if fitted.
- Remove any frame crossmembers that may interfere with removal.
- If the transmission is to be rebuilt, drain the oil.
- Matchmark the driveshaft(s) and yokes or flanges for assembly alignment, then disconnect and remove them. On 4x4 vehicles, remove the front driveshaft as well.
- Remove the exhaust system Y-pipe, and then remove any other segments of the system that would interfere with transmission removal.
- Support the engine with a suitable jack device and wooden block.
- Disconnect the backup switch wires.
- Disconnect the speed sensor wires.
- Remove the rear transmission mount hardware, if fitted.
- On 4x4 models, disconnect the transfer case shift linkage at the case. Remove the transfer case shift mechanism from the transmission.
- Support, unbolt and remove the transfer case.
- Support the transmission with a suitable jack and secure it with safety chains.
- Remove the transmission harness from the retaining clips on the transmission shift cover.
- Remove the hardware attaching the transmission mount to the rear crossmember, if one is fitted.
- Remove the clutch slave cylinder splash shield, if fitted.
- Remove the clutch slave cylinder attaching nuts and place it aside.
- Remove the starter motor.
- Remove the transmission splash shield, if fitted.
- Lower the transmission slightly.
- Remove the shift tower and lever assembly, if it wasn't removed before.
- Remove the bolts attaching the transmission to the clutch housing.
- Move the box rearward until the input shaft clears the clutch disc and release bearing.
- Lower the transmission and remove it from the vehicle.
- Reverse the removal procedure. Note the following points.
Apply a light coat of high temperature grease to the moving parts of the clutch and shifter assemblies:
Drive gear splines and pilot bearing hub
- Tighten transmission-to-engine bolts to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
- Tighten the transfer case-to-transmission nuts: 5 / 16 in. nuts to 22-30 ft. lbs.; 3 / 8 in. nuts to 30 -35 ft. lbs. (41-47 Nm).
- Frame crossmember and skidplate hardware should be torqued to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).