- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Install or connect the following:
Steering gear. Tighten the bolts to 235 ft. lbs. (319 Nm).
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- 4WD: remove the splash shield.
- Remove the nuts from the tie rod ends.
- Separate the tie rod ends from the knuckles with a suitable puller.
- Remove the power steering lines from the gear.
- Remove the lower coupler bolt and slide the coupler off the gear.
- Remove the mounting bolts from the gear to front crossmember and remove the gear.
- Reverse the removal procedure. Note the torque specifications for the fastening hardware.
- Fill the system with fluid and perform the power steering pump initial operation procedure.
- Realign the front end.
- Remove the steering gear.
- Loosen the jam nut and remove the tie rod end and jam nut.
- Remove the outer clamp from the rubber boot.
- Remove the boot inner clamp.
- On 2WD, mark the breather tube location on steering gear before removing the rubber boot.
- Lubricate the boot outer groove (tie rod) with silicone type lubricant. Ensure that the boot is not twisted.
- On 2WD, align the breather tube with the reference mark on the steering gear.
- Position and align the new boot over the housing.
- Install the inner clamp on the rubber boot.
- Install the snorkel clamp on 2WD vehicles.
- Install the outer clamp on the inner tie rod.
- Install the jam nut and the tie rod end.
- Install the steering gear.