- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Install or connect the following:
Steering gear. Tighten the bolts to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm).
- Fill the power steering fluid reservoir.
Start the engine and check for leaks.
Position the front wheels straight-ahead.
NOTEThe steering column on vehicles with an automatic transmission may not be equipped with an internal locking shaft that allows the ignition key cylinder to be locked with the key. Alternative methods of locking the steering wheel for service will have to be used.
- Lock the steering wheel.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove and cap fluid hoses from steering gear.
- Remove the coupler retaining bolt and slide the coupler off the steering gear stub shaft.
- Mark the pitman shaft and pitman arm for installation reference. Remove the pitman arm from the shaft with Puller C-4150A.
- Remove the steering gear bracket retaining bolts and nuts.
- Remove the steering gear and bracket from the vehicle.
Remove the gear mounting bolts to remove the mounting bracket.
- For 2002-03 vehicles, Perform the Over-Center adjustment. Refer to Adjustments in this section.
- Position steering gear mounting bracket on the gear. Install the mounting bolts and tighten to 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm) for 1999-00 vehicles or to 150 ft. lbs. (203 Nm) for 2001-03 vehicles.
- Position the steering gear and bracket on the frame rail. Install the bolts and nuts. Tighten the bolts and nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm) for 1999-00 vehicles or to 140 ft. lbs. (190 Nm) for 2001-03 vehicles.
- Align the coupler shaft index marks to the steering gear and steering shaft.
- Install the steering coupler and install new bolts. Tighten bolts to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Align and install the pitman arm.
- Install the washer and retaining nut on the pitman shaft. Tighten the nut to 185 ft. lbs. (251 Nm).
- Connect fluid hoses to the steering gear. Tighten hose fittings to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm)
- Remove support and lower the vehicle.
- Unlock the steering wheel.
- Add power steering fluid to the reservoir, refer to Power Steering Pump Initial Operation, under Power Steering Pump in this section.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.