Removal & Installation
- Turn the wiper switch ON , then turn the ignition ON and OFF . This brings the wipers to a more convenient working position.
- Lift the wiper arm to raise the wiper blade and element off of the windshield.
- Push the release tab under the arm tip and slide the blade away from the tip (towards the pivot), and remove the blade from the arm.
- Slide the blade retainer into the U-shaped formation on the tip of the wiper arm until the release tab snaps into position.
- Place the arm and blade assembly back onto the windshield.
- Wiper arms are secured by a latch.
- "Park" the wiper arms in the normal OFF position.
- Mark the locations of the wiper blade on the windshield to ease installation. This is important! Installation even one spline off may result in serious malfunction of the wiper system.
- Open the hood.
- Lift the arm off the windshield as far as possible to permit the latch to be pulled out to the holding position. Pull out the latch. The arm will remain off the windshield.
- Pull the arm off its shaft using a rocking motion.
- Mount the arm(s) on the pivot shafts.
- Lift the wiper arm away from the windshield slightly to relieve the spring tension on the latch.
- Push the latch into the locked position and slowly release the arm until the wiper blade rests on the windshield.
- Check that the wiper blade is aligned with the mark made in the removal sequence.
- Operate the wipers and put them in PARK . Check for proper wiper arm positioning and adjust if necessary.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable(s).
- Remove the wiper arms.
- Peel off the weather stripping from the front of the grille
- On RAM, remove the four screws that hold the grille.
- On Dakota and Durango, remove the four plastic nuts along the length of the grille, and the plastic rivets and push-in retainers at the corners.
- Raise the grille enough to gain access to the windshield washer hoses.
- Disconnect the washer hose at the connector on the right side of the grille.
- On Dakota and Durango, disconnect the vacuum supply hose from the vacuum reservoir on the underside of the grille.
- Remover the grille.
- Remove the four screws holding the motor/crank assembly: two near the motor and one on each end.
- Turn the assembly over for access to the motor wiring. Disconnect the motor wiring at the motor.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure that hoses are correctly routed and installed in retainers. Tighten the motor/crank screws to 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
Removal/installation of this switch is covered under "SUSPENSION AND STEERING."