Perform the following procedure, when replacing only the clutch disc on Diesel vehicles with Dual Mass Flywheel and self-adjusting pressure plate. The pressure plate must be reset before installing a new disc.
- Support pressure plate flange with press blocks on a press.
- Center press ram on the pressure plate diaphragm spring fingers.
Compress the diaphragm spring fingers, until tension is released from the stepped adjusting ring.
- Place two screwdrivers against two of the three stepped adjusting ring (1) tension spring stops, just ahead of the adjusting ring tension springs on the pressure plate (2).
Rotate stepped adjusting ring (1) on the pressure plate (2) counterclockwise until the coil springs are fully compressed. Then hold adjusting ring while releasing the press pressure.
- Remove the screwdrivers.
- The pressure plate is now adjusted for a new clutch disc.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Support engine with wood block and adjustable jack stand, to prevent strain on engine mounts.
- Remove transmission and transfer case, if equipped.
- If pressure plate will be reused, mark the position on flywheel with paint or scriber . Also note location marks on the pressure next to the bolt holes. The mark will be a L or a circle with an X in it.
- Insert clutch alignment tool through pressure plate and into pilot bushing, to hold disc in place while removing bolts.
- Loosen pressure plate bolts evenly, a few threads at a time and in a diagonal pattern to prevent warping the plate.
- Remove bolts completely and remove pressure plate, disc and alignment tool.
- Check runout and free operation of new clutch disc.
- Lubricate crankshaft pi