The Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor provides the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with two DC voltage signals which change as the position of the accelerator pedal changes. One of the DC voltage signals will be half the voltage of the other signal. For diesel engines the two signals are provided to the Engine Control Module (ECM).
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect the 6-way electrical connector at the top of the APP sensor.
- Remove the APP lower mounting bolt and the two mounting nuts.
- Remove the pedal and APP assembly from the vehicle.
- Position the pedal and APP assembly to its mounting bracket.
- Connect the 6-way electrical connector to the top of APP sensor.
- Install the APP lower mounting bolt and the two mounting nuts.
- If necessary, use a scan tool to erase any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's).
- Turn the ignition off.
- Disconnect the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor connector.
- Turn the ignition on.
- Measure the voltage of the F855 (Pin 6) 5 Volt Supply circuit in the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor harness connector.
- Measure the voltage of the F856 (Pin 1) 5 Volt Supply circuit in the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor harness connector.
- The voltage readings for both circuits should be above 4.5 volts.
If the readings are not as stated, check for an open or shorted circuit.