Removal & Installation
3.7L, 4.7L & 5.7L Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove accessory drive belt, as outlined in Engine Mechanical.
- Drain cooling system.
- Remove radiator upper hose.
- Remove upper fan shroud.
Using Special Tools 6958 Spanner with Adapter Pins 8346 (1), loosen fan (2) and viscous assembly from water pump.
- Remove fan and viscous assembly.
Disconnect electrical connector for fan mounted inside radiator shroud.
NOTETransmission cooler line snaps into shroud lower right hand corner.
- Remove crankshaft damper bolt.
Remove damper using Special Tools 8513 Insert (1) and 1026 Three Jaw Puller (2).
Align crankshaft damper slot with key in crankshaft. Slide damper onto crankshaft slightly.
WARNINGSpecial Tool 8512-A, is assembled in a specific sequence. Failure to assemble this tool in this sequence can result in tool failure and severe damage to either the tool or the crankshaft.
Assemble Special Tool 8512-A as follows, The nut (2) is threaded onto the shaft first. Then the roller bearing (1) is placed onto the threaded rod (3) (The hardened bearing surface of the bearing (1) MUST face the nut (2). Then the hardened washer (5) slides onto the threaded rod. Once assembled coat the threaded rod's threads with Mopar® Nickel Anti-Seize or equivalent.
Using Special Tool 8512-A, press damper onto crankshaft (1).
- Install then tighten crankshaft damper bolt to 130 ft. lbs. (175 Nm).
- Install fan blade assembly.
- Install radiator upper shroud and tighten fasteners to 95 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Connect electrical connector for shroud fan.
- Install radiator upper hose.
- Install accessory drive belt.
- Refill cooling system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the accessory drive belt, as outlined in this section.
- Remove the four (4) damper to crankshaft bolts and remove damper and speed indicator ring.
Install speed indicator ring.
NOTEThe speed indicator ring is located over a dowel pin.
Install the crankshaft damper and bolts. Tighten bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm), plus an additional 60° turn.
NOTEThe damper must be installed so the hole is located over the dowel pin.
- Install the accessory drive belt.