Removal & Installation
3.7L & 4.7L Engines
Remove the primary and secondary timing chains and sprockets. Refer to procedure in this section.
NOTETo remove the idler shaft, it is necessary to tap threads into the shaft, to install the removal tool.
- Using a 12mm X 1.75 tap, cut threads in the idler shaft center bore.
Cover the radiator core with a suitable cover.
WARNINGBe careful when removing the idler shaft, Do not strike the radiator cooling fins with the slide hammer.
- Using Special Tool 8517 Slide Hammer, remove the idler shaft.
- Thoroughly clean the idler shaft bore.
Position the idler shaft in the bore.
NOTEThe two lubrication holes in the idler shaft do not require any special alignment.
NOTEBefore using the retaining bolt to install the idler shaft, coat the threads and the pilot on the idler shaft, with clean engine oil.
- Using the primary idler sprocket retaining bolt and washer, carefully draw the idler shaft into the bore until fully seated.
- Coat the idler shaft with clean engine oil.
- Install the timing chains and sprockets. Refer to procedure in this section.