Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove half shaft from disconnect side of the axle.
- Remove disconnect actuator wiring connector.
- Remove disconnect actuator bolts and remove actuator.
- Remove O-ring and snap ring from output shaft.
- Remove disconnect seal bolts.
Remove output shaft and disconnect seal with Remover 8420A (3) and Slide Hammer C-3752.
Slide disconnect collar (1) from intermediate shaft (2) and remove through disconnect pocket.
- Remove differential cover.
Drive intermediate shaft out of side gear with a hammer and brass punch.
- Remove intermediate shaft from axle tube.
- Install new intermediate shaft snap ring.
- Install shaft into axle tube and side gear. Verify intermediate shaft snap ring is seated in side gear.
- Install disconnect collar through disconnect pocket onto intermediate shaft.
- Position disconnect collar on intermediate shaft, so collar is in 2WD position.
- Verify output shaft bearing cup is seated in the disconnect pocket.
- Install output shaft with bearing into disconnect pocket.
- Install disconnect seal on output shaft.
- Align disconnect seal (1) with bolt holes in disconnect pocket with Pins MD998412 (2).
Install disconnect seal (1) in disconnect pocket with Installer 6761 (2) and a hammer.
- Install disconnect seal bolts and tighten to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Install output shaft O-ring and snap ring.
- Clean actuator sealing surface and install new gasket if necessary.
- Align actuator shift fork with disconnect collar and install actuator on disconnect pocket.
- Install disconnect actuator bolts and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install disconnect actuator wiring connector.
- Install differential cover and fill differential to specification.
- Install half shaft.