Removal & Installation
Independent Front Suspension
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the brake caliper and rotor, shield and ABS wheel speed sensor, if equipped.
- Remove the front halfshaft nut (if equipped)
Remove the cotter pin and nut from the tie rod. Disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle with Remover 8677, or equivalent.
WARNINGWhen installing Remover 8677 to separate the ball joint, be careful not to damage the ball joint seal.
Remove the lower ball joint nut. Separate the ball joint from the knuckle with Remover 8677 and remove the knuckle.
- For light duty vehicles, remove the upper ball joint nut. Separate the ball joint from the knuckle with Remover 8677 LD. For heavy duty vehicles, remove the upper ball joint nut. Separate the ball joint from the knuckle with Remover 9360 HD
- Remove the hub/bearing from the steering knuckle.
- Install the hub/bearing to the steering knuckle (1) and tighten the bolts to 120 ft. lbs. (163 Nm) for light duty vehicles or to 130 ft. lbs. (176 Nm) for 2X4 heavy duty vehicles.
- Install the knuckle (1) onto the upper and lower ball joints.
Install the upper and lower ball joint nuts (3).
Tighten the upper ball joint nut, as follows:
- Light Duty (1500 models): 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm), plus and additional 90° turn
- Heavy Duty (2500/3500 models): 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm)
Tighten the lower ball joint nut, as follows:
- Light Duty (1500 models): 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm), plus and additional 90° turn
- 2WD Heavy Duty (2500/3500 models): 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm)
- Remove the hydraulic jack from the lower suspension arm.
- Install the tie rod end and tighten the nut to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Install the front halfshaft into the hub/bearing, if equipped.
- Install the halfshaft nut and tighten to 185 ft. lbs. (251 Nm), if equipped.
- Install the ABS wheel speed sensor if equipped, and brake shield, rotor and caliper.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the support and lower the vehicle.
- Perform a wheel alignment.
- Remove the hub bearing and axle shaft.
- Remove the tie rod or drag link end from the steering knuckle arm.
- Remove the ABS sensor wire and bracket from the knuckle.
- Remove the cotter pin from the upper ball stud nut. Remove the upper and lower ball stud nuts.
- Strike the steering knuckle with a brass hammer to loosen.
- Remove the knuckle from the axle tube yokes.
- Position the steering knuckle on the ball studs.
- Install and tighten lower ball stud nut to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm). Do not install cotter pin at this time.
- Install and tighten upper ball stud nut to 70 ft. lbs. (94 Nm). Advance nut to next slot to line up hole and install new cotter pin.
- Retorque lower ball stud nut to 140-160 ft. lbs. (190-217 Nm). Advance nut to next slot to line up hole and install new cotter pin.
- Install the hub bearing.
- Install tie-rod or drag link end onto the steering knuckle arm.
- Install the ABS sensor wire and bracket to the knuckle.