Adjustment can be made with a standard brake gauge or with adjusting tool . Adjustment is performed with the complete brake assembly installed on the backing plate.
- Be sure parking brake lever is fully released.
- Raise vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated freely.
- Remove plug from each access hole in brake support plates.
- Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is slack in front cable.
- Insert adjusting tool through support plate access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting screw star wheel.
- Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when wheel is rotated.
- Push and hold adjuster lever away from star wheel with thin screwdriver.
- Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake drag is eliminated.
- Repeat adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure adjustment is equal at both wheels.
- Install support plate access hole plugs.
- Adjust parking brake cable and lower vehicle.
- Depress park brake pedal and make sure park brakes hold the vehicle stationary.
- Release park brake pedal.
Removal & Installation
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the disc brake caliper and rotor, as outlined in this section.
Lockout the parking brake cable.
Disengage the park brake cable from behind the rotor assembly to allow easier disassembly of the park brake shoes.
Disassemble the rear park brake shoes.
Reassemble the rear park brake shoes.
- Release the parking brake cable.
- Adjust the rear park brake shoes.
- Install the disc brake rotor and caliper.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.