- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Place the front wheels in a straight-ahead position.
NOTEThe steering column on vehicles with an automatic transmission may not be equipped with an internal locking shaft that allows the ignition key cylinder to be locked with the key. Alternative methods of locking the steering wheel for service will have to be used.
- Lock the steering wheel.
- Siphon out as much power steering fluid as possible.
- Disconnect and cap the fluid hoses from steering gear.
Remove coupler pinch bolt at the steering gear and slide shaft off gear.
Mark the pitman shaft and pitman arm for installation reference. Remove the pitman arm from the shaft with pitman arm remover 9615.
Remove steering gear three mounting bolts. Remove the steering gear from the vehicle.
- Position the steering gear the frame rail and install the three mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 145 ft. lbs. (196 Nm).
- Align steering coupler on gear shaft. Install pinch bolt and tighten to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Align and install the pitman arm.
- Install the washer and retaining nut on the pitman shaft. Tighten the nut to 225 ft. lbs. (305 Nm).
- Connect fluid hoses to steering gear, tighten to 32 Nm (23 ft. lbs.).
- Add Mopar° power steering fluid+4 or Mopar° ATF+4 automatic transmission fluid and bleed system.