Overturning will destroy the clockspring. The internal ribbon wire acts as the stop and can be broken from its internal connection. Make sure the road wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
- Centralize the clockspring.
- Hold the clockspring outer housing stationary.
- While holding the clockspring locking tab in the released position, turn the rotor counterclockwise, carefully feeling for the ribbon wire to run out of length and a slight resistance to be felt. Stop turning at this point.
- While holding the clockspring locking tab in the released position, turn the clockspring clockwise approximately 2.25 turns. This is the center point of the clockspring.
- Do not allow the rotor to turn from this position.