- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
WARNINGDo not allow the steering column shaft to rotate while the intermediate shaft is disconnected or damage to the clockspring can result. If there is evidence that the steering column shaft has rotated, the clockspring must be removed and recentered.
- Remove and discard the lower steering column shaft-to-upper steering column shaft bolt.
- Collapse the lower steering column shaft.
- Remove the upper steering column shaft-to-steering column bolt and remove the upper steering column shaft.
Remove the lower steering column shaft-to-steering gear bolt and remove the lower steering column shaft.
To install, reverse the removal procedure and note the following:
Tighten lower steering column shaft-to-gear bolt to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).