- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the skid plate.
- Remove the damper, if so equipped.
- Disconnect the transfer case harness connector and position it aside.
If transfer case disassembly is necessary, remove the drain plug and drain the fluid. Install the drain plug when all of the fluid has drained.
NOTEIndex-mark the front output shaft assembly and the front driveshaft constant velocity (CV) joint.
WARNINGAlways disconnect the front driveshaft from the transfer case first. Otherwise, the weight of the driveshaft can pinch the boot between the shaft and the boot can and cause the boot to tear.
- Index-mark the front output shaft assembly and the front driveshaft constant velocity (CV) joint.
- Remove and discard the bolts and washers.
Disconnect the front driveshaft from the transfer case and position the driveshaft aside.
NOTEIndex-mark the front flange on the rear driveshaft and the flange on the transfer case.
Remove the rear driveshaft.
CAUTIONSecure the transfer case to the jack with safety straps.
- Position a high lift jack under the transfer case.
- Remove the five bolts retaining the transfer case to the extension housing.
- Slide the transfer case rearward and off of the transmission output shaft.
- Remove and discard the front extension housing gasket, and clean the mating surfaces.
- Install the transfer case with a new gasket.
- Tighten the bolts that retain the transfer case to the extension housing in a clockwise direction beginning with the upper LH bolt. Torque to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
Install the front driveshaft with new bolts and washers and the rear driveshaft with new bolts. If new bolts are not available, coat the threads of the original bolts with Threadlock and Sealer E0AZ-19554-AA, or equivalent.
NOTEWhen installing the front driveshaft, always connect it to the axle first and then connect it to the transfer case.
NOTEAlign the index marks when installing the front and rear driveshafts.
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Check and, if necessary, fill the transfer case with the specified type and quantity of fluid.