All carburetted engines use a mechanical fuel pump located on the engine block, on the distributor side.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect and plug the hoses at the pump.
- Remove the pump mounting bolts and lift off the pump.
- Thoroughly clean the mounting surfaces of dirt and old gasket material. Discard the old gasket.
- Using a new gasket, coated with sealer, position the pump on the block making sure that the drive surface of the pump actuating arm contacts the camshaft drive lobe. The engine may have to be rotated to ease installation. Install the mounting bolts.
- Unplug and reconnect the hoses.
To test the pump, connect a pressure gauge inline on the output side of the pump. The pressure should be equal to that listed in the Tune-Up chart in this guide.