REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Special tools are required for this procedure.Alliance and Encore
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Remove the wheels.
- Remove the caliper and suspend it out of the way, without disconnecting the brake hose.
- Remove the rotor as previously described.
- Place the hub in a vise. Using Renault tool number T.Ar.65 and the bolts from Renault tool number B.Tr.02, or equivalent tools, remove the inner bushing from the hub.
- Remove the thrust washer.
- Using a ball joint separator, disconnect the steering arm from the stub axle carrier.
- Remove the shock absorber lower bolt and remove the lower ball joint and nut.
- Remove the snapring from inside the hub.
- Press out the outer track ring using one of the two original inner track rings. Leave the ball cage and seals in position.
- The new bearing should have covers protecting the seals. Remove these.
- Press in the complete bearing assembly, with the plastic sleeve holding the two inner track rings using a piece of tubing having an outside diameter of 63mm and an inside diameter of 59mm.
- Place the assembly in a press with the press load on the outer track ring.
Bearings must always be replaced as a complete assembly. Once a bearing is removed, for any reason, it is damaged and must not be reused.
- Remove the plastic sleeve after the bearing is installed.
- Install the snapring against the face of the bearing outer track ring.
- Coat the seal lips with chassis lube.
- Slip the thrust washer onto the hub and press into position using a piece of tubing with an outside diameter of 45mm and an inner diameter of 39mm. Apply the press load to the inner bearing track ring.
- Install all other parts. Observe the following torques:
LeCar, R-12, R-15, R-17 and Gordini
- Remove the rotor/hub assembly as described above.
- Mount protective fitting, Renault tool number Rou.15-01 on the hub.
- Remove the outer bearing using Renault tool number B.V.28-01, or its equivalent.
If only the outer bearing is being installed, press it in at this time using a 1 3 / 8 in. diameter pipe. Install the parts in reverse order of removal. If the inner bearing is being replaced, go on to Step 4.
- Remove the stub axle carrier.
- Remove the bearing closure plate.
- Press out the inner bearing. Make sure that the press load is taken by a ring with a 2 9 / 16 in. inside diameter for LeCar; 3 5 / 32 in. diameter for the other models.
- Check the condition of the stub axle bore. If it is excessively damaged, replace it.
- Press in a new bearing using a ring with a 2 3 / 8 in. outside diameter for LeCar; 2 11 / 16 in. O.D. for the other cars.
- Pack the stub axle carrier center section with about 1 ounce of chassis lube or wheel bearing grease having a lithium base.
- Mount the deflector and install the attaching bolts.
- Press in the stub axle carrier/hub/rotor assembly using a 1 3 / 8 in. diameter pipe for LeCar; 1 7 / 16 O.D. for the other cars. Don't forget the spacer.
- Apply RTV sealer on the cover plate and install it.
- Install all other parts. Tighten the stub axle shaft nut to 90 ft. lbs.
- Remove the rotor as described previously.
- Remove the stub axle nut.
- Remove the hub. You can do this by inserting a metal bar behind the hub housing and running two wheel lugs in through their holes and against the bar. Gradually tighten each lug until the hub comes off.
- Remove the six bearing retaining bolts. They are Torx-head type.
- Remove the bearing and inner race.
- Remove the outer bearing race from the hub with a puller.
- Place the inner bearing race on the stub axle and install the bearing.
- Drive the outer bearing race in the hub using a 40mm ID pipe.
- Pack the bearing and races with multi-purpose chassis lube.
- Place the hub on the stub axle. It may be necessary to drive it into position with a mallet, until the stub axle nut can be threaded on. Don't forget the positioning cup behind the nut.
- Drive the hub all the way on with the shaft nut and tighten the nut to 185 ft. lbs.
- Install all other parts as previously described. Tighten the bearing retaining bolts to 11 ft. lbs.; the caliper bolts to 74 ft. lbs.