REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
All Except LeCar
Special tools are needed for this job.
- Raise and support the car on jackstands placed under the frame. Remove the wheel.
On all but the Alliance, a spring compressor must be used at this point to aid strut removal.
- Unbolt the strut at the top and bottom. Pull the strut out. It may be necessary to press down on the lower control arm.
- Place the lower end of the strut in a vise.
- On the Alliance, install a spring compressor on the spring and compress the spring evenly.
- Remove the top nut on the strut rod and remove all the parts beneath it. Slowly release the spring tension and remove the spring.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure that the spring coil is positioned with the open end of the lower coil against the raise stop on the bottom spring plate. Observe the following torque specifications for all but the R-18: Shock top mounting nut, 44 ft. lb.; shock bottom mounting nut, 55 ft. lb.; Shock top mounting pad nuts, 17 ft. lb.; Piston rod retaining nut, 44 ft. lb. Observe the following specifications for the R-18: Shock upper mounting nut, 11 ft. lb.; shock lower mounting nut, 30 ft. lb.; shock piston rod nut, 59 ft. lb.