REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The following procedure requires the use of a special tool.
- Tilt the front seat forward.
- There are four bolts on the front face of the seat well. The largest of these is the torsion bar cam bolt. Loosen, but do not remove, the bolt and turn the cam left all the way to zero it.
- Raise the front end and place jackstands under the frame so that the wheels hang freely.
- Remove the torsion bar adjusting lever cover.
- Insert tool Sus.545 in the adjusting lever.
- In the front seat well, remove the three other bolts mentioned in step 2. These are the adjusting lever housing attaching bolts.
- Remove the housing cover cam assembly and gradually ease the pressure on the tool.
- Mark the position of the adjusting lever on the floor pan.
- Mark the position of the torsion bar on the lower arm anchor sleeve.
- Remove the sway bar bushings.
- Remove the torsion bar from the control arm and check that the marks made previously are lined up with the punch mark on the end of the bar. If not, count and record the number of splines the marks are off.
- Remove the torsion bar.
- Apply chassis lube to the ends of the torsion bar.
- Install the protective cover seal, the housing cover cam assembly and the adjusting lever on the torsion bar.
- Pass the housing cover cam assembly and the adjusting lever inside the crossmember. Slide the torsion bar in position above the sway bar.
- Insert the torsion bar into the lower control arm aligning the marks.
- Position the adjusting lever on the splines, aligning the marks made earlier on the floor crossmember.
- Position the adjusting lever 3 / 8 - 3 / 4 in. to the left of its travel.
- With the tool Sus.545 inserted in the adjusting lever, take up the tension on the bar. Center the cover by resetting the cam.
- Hold the torsion bar assembly against its bushing with a pair of locking pliers and bolt it together.
- Install the sway bar.
- Drive the vehicle a short distance, park it on a flat surface and measure the ride height. Ride height is determined by calculating the difference between the distance from the wheel center to the ground and the distance from the underbody frame side member to the ground. The difference should be 1 7 / 8 - 2 5 / 8 in. To adjust the ride height, loosen the cam adjusting bolt in the seat well and turn the cam to obtain the proper ride height.