The Alliance and Encore have no upper control arm.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the coolant expansion bottle.
- Remove the ignition coil.
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands. Disconnect the ball joint.
- Screw a nut, to be used as a locknut, on the front end of the control arm hinge pin.
- Hold the locknut and remove the nut from the opposite end of the hinge pin.
- Drive the hinge pin forward and out of the control arm.
- Remove the arm.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the hinge nuts to 70 ft. lb.
- Raise and support the car on jackstands.
- Disconnect the castor tie rod.
- Remove the sway bar.
- Using a ball joint separator, disconnect the ball joint.
- Disconnect the tie-rod ball joint.
- Unbolt and remove the upper arm hinge pin.
- Disconnect the shock absorber lower end.
- Tilt the arm upward to free the ball joint and free the other end from the shock absorber.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Install the arm on the shock absorber first, then the upper ball joint followed by the tie rod ball joint. Hand-tighten the nuts. Install the hinge pin, liberally coated with chassis lube and hand-tighten the nuts. Install the sway bar; hand-tighten the nuts. Attach the castor tie rod. NOW, tighten all nuts:
Upper Ball Joint-47 ft. lb.Control Arm Hinge Pin Nuts-70 ft. lb.Lower Shock Absorber Nuts-55 ft. lb.Tie Rod Ball Joint-48 ft. lb.Sway Bar-20 ft. lb.Cater Link Nut-60 ft. lb.