All injected engines use an electric fuel pump. On the Gordini, 18i and Fuego, the pump is located on the right rear frame member. On the Alliance and Encore, the pump is located in the fuel tank.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
All Except Alliance and Encore
- Disconnect the battery ground.
- Clamp the fuel lines at the pump, then disconnect them.
- Remove the pump.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Disconnect the battery. Drain the fuel tank.
- Remove the fuel cap and remove the screws holding the filler neck pipe to the sheet metal.
- Clean the areas surrounding the rubber connecting pipe between the filler neck and the tank. Unclamp and remove the pipe.
- Some tanks are secured directly to the floor by bolts; others are secured by straps. Place a floor jack under the tank to support it and remove the bolts and/or straps. Lower the tank slightly and disconnect the wiring and remaining hoses. Lower the tank completely and remove it from the car.
- The locking ring around the pump can be turned with a screwdriver. If it is stuck, tap it off using a hammer and brass drift. Do not use a hammer and steel or iron drift as sparks could occur. After removing the locking ring, check the rubber O-ring or gasket. Discard it if damaged or squashed.
- Remove the fuel pump and sending unit.
- Disconnect and tag the wires. One terminal is marked +, the other is marked -.
- Unbolt the pump.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Use a new gasket or O-ring under the locking ring, if necessary.
FUEL PRESSURE TEST
- Disconnect the hose between the pressure regulator and the injector ramp. Tee-in a pressure gauge.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the pressure regulator and connect it to a vacuum pump.
- Start the engine. A pressure of 33-39 psi should be noted.
- Apply a vacuum of about 16 in.Hg. at the pressure regulator. The fuel pressure should drop by 7psi.
CHECKING THE FUEL PUMP OUTPUT
- Disconnect the fuel return line at the pressure regulator and place the end in a 2 quart graduated beaker.
- Turn on the ignition.
- Open the sensor flap in the airflow meter through the input hole to start the pump, or, connect pins 36 and 39 in the airflow meter connector. Minimum pump output should be 1 liter (a little more than a quart) per minute.