REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the headlight trim ring or plate.
- On the R-12, R-15, R-17 and Gordini, the trim ring/plate is held in place by clips and hooks; all other models are held by screws.
- Remove the retaining ring screws, and remove the retaining ring.
- Remove the headlight slightly, and unplug the wiring harness connector on the back of the bulb.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
The headlights must be properly aimed to provide the best and safest road illumination. The lights should be checked for proper aim, and adjusted if necessary, after installing a new sealed beam unit, or if the front end sheet metal has been replaced. Certain state and local authorities have requirements for headlight aiming; these should be checked before adjustment is made. Most service stations and all dealers have professional aiming equipment and are familiar with any local regulations regarding headlight aiming; if in doubt, take the vehicle to a service station or dealer that can properly aim your headlights.
The fuel tank should be about half full when adjusting the headlights. Tires should be properly inflated, and if a heavy load is often carried in the trunk or in the cargo area of station wagons, it should remain there.
Horizontal and vertical aiming of each headlight is provided by two adjusting screws, which move the mounting ring in the body.