REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
LeCar, Alliance and Encore
- Working through the trunk, remove the upper nut.
- Raise and support the car on jackstands.
- Remove the lower nut and remove the shock absorber.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. It's best to attach the upper end first. Tighten the upper nut to 18 ft. lb.; the bottom nut to 60 ft. lb.
- Remove the spring.
- Disconnect the shock top nut and remove the shock.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Open the trunk and remove the gas tank protection shield.
- Remove the upper fastener (nut).
- Raise the vehicle and remove the wheel(s).
- Remove the lower fastening nut and compress the shock absorber by hand.
- Remove the retaining clips of the brake hoses from the rear axle.
- Push the axle assembly downward and remove the shock absorber with the spring. Remove the spacers and the rubber bushings.
Before installing a new shock absorber, pump it up and down manually several times while in an upright position.
- Place the rubber insulators on the shock absorbers as required on both the top and bottom.
- Push down on the rear axle assembly and engage the shock absorber with the spring, positioning the spring so that its lower end is placed in the stop of the lower cup.
- Attach the upper half of the shock absorber with the retaining nut. Be sure to replace the bushings and cups as they were removed.
- Extend the shock absorber and install its lower retaining nut. Again, be sure to replace the bushings and cups as they were removed.
- Install the retaining clips of the brake hose to the rear axle.
- Install the wheels and lower the vehicle to the ground.