REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Tie Rod Ends
This is a generic procedure and is designed to cover all models. For some models, you may need to modify this procedure.
- Loosen the lug nuts on the front wheels, but do not remove them.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Make an alignment mark on the tie rod end threads, locknut or clamp, and tie rod for re-installation.
Some models may use a reverse threaded tie rod end on one side of the vehicle.
- If equipped with a locknut, use two wrenches to loosen the locknut. Place one wrench on the hexagonal portion of the tie rod, and use the other wrench to turn the locknut.
- If equipped with clamps, loosen the clamp securing bolts.
- Remove the tie rod end-to-steering knuckle attaching bolt.
- Install a tie rod end puller on the steering knuckle and disconnect the end from the knuckle.
If a new tie rod end is being installed, count the number of threads that are exposed on the old end. When installing the new end, leave the same number of threads exposed to help maintain your alignment.
- Hold the hexagonal portion of the tie rod, then unscrew the tie rod end from the rod.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.