Removal & Installation
3.4L & 3.5L Engines
- Remove the battery negative cable from the battery.
- Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
- Remove the electrical connector from the engine oil pressure sensor.
- Remove the engine oil pressure switch.
- Install the engine oil pressure switch and tighten it to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm).
- Install the electrical connector to the engine oil pressure switch.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the battery negative cable to the battery.
- Disconnect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the oil pressure sensor.
- Install the oil pressure sensor and tighten it to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Connect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- With the vehicle on a level surface, allow adequate drain down time of 2-3 minutes and measure for a low oil level. Add the recommended grade engine oil and fill the crankcase until the oil level measures full on the oil level indicator.
- Run the engine, and verify low, or no oil pressure on the vehiclegauge or light.
- Listen for a noisy valve train or a knocking noise.
Inspect for the following:
Oil diluted by moisture or unburned fuel mixtures
- Remove the oil pressure sender or another engine block oil gallery plug.
- Install special tool J21867-850 and an oil pressuregauge and measure the engine oil pressure.
- Compare the readings to specifications.
If the engine oil pressure is below specifications, inspect the engine for one or more of the following:
Oil pump worn or dirty