- Clean all parts of sludge, oil, and varnish by soaking in cleaning solvent.
- Inspect for foreign material and determine the source of the foreign material.
Inspect the pump housing and cover for the following conditions:
Cracks or casting imperfections
- Do not attempt to repair the pump housing. Replace the pump housing.
Inspect the oil pump gears for the following conditions:
- Inspect the idler shaft for looseness or scoring. If loose or damaged, replace the oil pump.
- Inspect the drive gear shaft for looseness or scoring.
Inspect the pressure regulator valve for the following conditions:
Inspect the pressure regulator valve spring for the following conditions:
Loss of tension
Inspect the suction pipe and screen assembly for the following conditions:
Looseness If the suction pipe is loose, bent or has been removed, replace the pump body cover and suction pipe.
- Measure the oil pump gear lash. Install the gears, and measure in several places.
- Measure the oil pump housing gear pocket.
Measure the oil pump gears .
NOTEWhen deciding pump serviceability based on end clearance, consider depth of the wear pattern in the pump cover.
- Measure the oil pump gear side clearance.
Removal & Installation
3.4L & 3.5L Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the engine oil
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Inspect the oil pump and oil pump driveshaft.
Install or connect the following:
NOTERotate the oil pump driveshaft as necessary for proper engagement with the oil pump drive.
Crankshaft oil deflector, if removed. Torque the nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
Oil pump and driveshaft
- Fill the engine with oil.
- Start the vehicle and inspect for leaks, repair if necessary.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
WARNINGDo not remove the left bank idler sprocket.
- Remove the primary timing chain.
- Remove the crankshaft sprocket.
Remove the oil pump bolts and the oil pump.
- Align the oil pump gerotor with the crankshaft flats and install the oil pump to the engine block.
- Align the pump body with the mounting holes in the cylinder block.
- Install the oil pump bolts. Tighten the oil pump bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23Nm).
- Install the crankshaft sprocket.
- Install the primary timing chain.